Monday, April 21, 2008
Unpredictable

short-talk:

I believe most of us know who Mozart is right?

A well known music expert who had composed hundreds of music sheets. Yet no one has ever seen or heard of his playing. Great composer, indeed. But what happened when he died?

He decomposed.

lame.


--------------------------------------------


Semester Break is over!


Life as a Second Year student is not that relaxing and never easy compared to my First Year. It's always hectic. Each subject is getting more knotty and involved. Lecturers are getting more and more pitiless. Assignments are piling up disorderly. Mountainous workloads are yet to tidy up. Many things to do yet time is getting so insufficient. Everything has changed. Everything is just so fast and furious.


Life gets busier than before.


On the face of it, it's Semester Break whereby I believe Swinburne students are supposed to take a week off and break free from study stress. Go to Santubong beach and enjoy the views. 24/7 computer games. Go play laser tag.


No no no!


Apparently, the phrase "time off & enjoyment for Johnson" does not seem to emerge in my schedule. There's not much repose for me throughout the entire week. Not even a short breathing-space for me! Even when i want to take just a short nap, the word Assignments will just pop up in my mind promptly!


How to rest in peace like that~


Nonetheless, my only desire during my semester break is to try to finish off the assignments. still it doesn't give me much repose for that entire week. Juggling my time properly.


Throughout the week, i glue my buttocks on the chair and settle down in front of the computer and start to tidy up. There's not much leisure thingy that i can involve in, but to discipline myself to complete my assignments. Yes, discipline!


Went to campus today. After asking my friends how much have they accomplished for their assignments, **evil laugh** proud to announce to the whole world that I'm actually leading this time in terms of assignments. I don't even realized that i have actually completed almost 80% of my assignments and some of friends have not even started doing! Huhu~~


Bak kata:"Sedikit-dikit lama jadi bukit". True true. At least this smugness does perk me up and give me a little umph to brush up my assignments!


I'm on Cloud 9! Johnson is at the right track!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Talking about my course, there's particular one subject that really captivates my interest towards it. None other than Topography.


As i have mentioned in my earlier post regarding Topography. Truthfully, Topography is just fun. Very fun. Absolutely fun. Seven weeks back, we get to learn how to use the Total Station in measuring the bearing and distance in the campus.



Photobucket

Total Station


Everything seems to be trouble-free when our fieldworks are assigned to be done inside of the campus. Not that tiring and challenging though. However, after a few attempts, the time has finally come! Our lecturer decided to send us out from the campus to proceed on our next fieldwork at Kenny Hill.


To make it sounds more professional, let's call it to the real world.


The moment that everyone has been waiting for! We, the future-wanna-be Civil engineers are taking a little peak of how and what real engineers undergo out there.


Photobucket


Seeing that no transportations are provided, we are forced voluntarily carried our equipments all the way from Swinburne Campus and walk to Kenny Hill. Okay, not a long way as you can visualize. But carry those instruments are kinda troublesome. Those equipments are not weightless k. It's heavy! Especially the Total Station and Prism. Looks small but weight heavy~


If the sun is super unfriendly and blazing on that particular day, the whole voyage is like walking in a desert. By the time we reach the destination, 30% of our energy has already fritter away. Oaky okay la, 29.5%.


Pity us please.


Photobucket


Anyway, the reason that i think Topography is quite fun and interesting compared to other subjects is because it focuses mainly on the practical basis. As in other subjects are more to theoretical approach. And it offers to me a privilege, yes privilege to fathom upon my course mates' authentic personality. The true color.


As in what sense then?


Under the hot hot and hot sun, of cause!!
Haha!



Photobucket


Seriously, you just got to believe me!! I find it so amusing and strange to check out that some of my course mates are actually using umbrellas, farmer's hats and sunglasses during their fieldwork. To induce this statement a little bit more, these people are actually guys! I mean, outwardly tough guys! Goodnees. You got to be kidding me!


I thought one of the least requirements to become a Civil engineer is being able to expose oneself under the hot and roasting sun? Even the girls are tougher than those guys. The girls do not complain at all. Some guys are even more feminine than girls, you know what they do? They rather drive their cars to the station than spending a 15 minutes walk to Kenny Hill. Aduh~~ tsk tsk tsk.


**cough cough Alvin Yap aka. Abubu cough cough****cough cough Soon Eng cough cough**


LOL!


Photobucket


Still, it's amusing to hear and see how different one shouted so loudly to the other side of the station. Some even ran out of pitch~


I do enjoy working together with my team mates. We are tough people. Me, Aldrin and Wui Jie don't use umbrellas and farmer's hats. Cheers, Abubu and Soon Eng! =P


Haiyo, well-trained at Boys Brigade eh. Don't play play!!



Photobucket


If you don't know who's that guy with the leg wide opened, he's Adeline. I mean Aldrin. We are ordered to wear those burnished traffic safety vests during our fieldwork. Reason: Not to be one of those MBKS workers of cause, but to protect ourselves from unnecessary accidents happen


There are a few obstacles that we have encountered during our fieldwork. Firstly, the weather. The adverse weather that we many times faced is pretty unpredictable. Sometimes we are just so keen to look forward to the day of our fieldwork and if it rains ...... everything needs to postpone.


However, God has been faithful to us. He did not send the rain but he sent the Sun. It's killing! Innocent guinea pigs like us will be fully roasted under the hot sun for 3 hours straight.



Photobucket

It's Aldrin again.


Not only that, holding a range pole beside the hilltop is unpredictable too. Who knows you might accidentally slip and fall straight down into the drain and break your legs, break your hands, break your head, break your teeth, break your ears and break everything! And forever stuck in the drain. Okay, i'm just exaggerating.


There's once where Aldrin's neck was bitten by a BIG black ant while holding the range pole. Kesian him~ That's why i emphasize that everything is so unforeseeable. Perhaps you might have swallowed by snake while doing fieldwork. Who knows.


Apart from that, another obstacle is:



Photobucket

DOGS


Yes. Dogs. Dogs are unpredictable too. Just to clarify, i'm not afraid of dogs k. I'm just erm.. erm... dislike dogs?? Afraid and dislike are totally different k. I love my body so much that i don't want to get bitten by those dogs k.



Photobucket


As hinted earlier on, dogs are fairly unpredictable too. They can chase you anytime, anywhere and anyhow. I definitely would not want to be one of those that get chased in the middle of the main road and run like a chicken all the way back to Swinburne. No way! Yet, filled with much courage, we managed to overcome this obstacle boldly!. **phew**


That's why I dislike dogs.


Next obstacle:


Photobucket

CARS


The stations for our fieldworks are located near roadways. Cold-blooded lecturer. >.< style="font-weight: bold;">CHOY!


And the last obstacle that we face:


Photobucket

It's a Trieneken garbage trucks!


It's unpredictable! Yea yea. What is your first reaction when you notice there's this truck coming towards your direction while you are taking measurement in the middle on the road?


Run away and leave the linear tape in the middle of the road? No, I know it stinks. But being as Civil Engineer-ish as we wanna be, we stood firmly at where we were and continued our measurement with a looooonnnnnng and deep deep breath.



Photobucket


Why on earth is this garbage truck doing here in such afternoon??!!??


**think think think**



Photobucket


Perhaps it's because of the vest that i'm wearing that causes those Trienekens' workers to have mistakenly supposed that i'm one their Garbage workers~~


Hmm...


**Speechless**





Comments:

Wah, what a long post...i read until my eyes drop...haha...need to pick up my eyes from the floor...:P

what a fun subject that u ppl have like what u have say it is mainly focus on the pratical basis....juz let u ppl know that me, shirley and judieth is so much wished that we can have this kind of subject... we everyday stay in the skul... no challenging at all...
and ur lecturer so great ba....cant imaging if ur lecturer act like Abubu and Soon Eng and how her students will be...haha
I think u are scare dog rite? wondering what will u do if suddenly has a dog chasing at u when u at kenny hill...haha
i cant understand why nowaday many ppl use unbrella under a big sun...i thought it was used when raining...hmm...may be they dont know when they need umbrella *Abubu*Soon Eng* :)

p/s: Is mid-sem break...not sem break

By Blogger Yong Tiong Yieng, at Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 11:53:00 PM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad that you have adopted Aldrin's "little by little" type of working attitude.

But please do not follow all his footstep because this time he also last minute work. =D

By Blogger Eric, at Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 11:59:00 PM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------

Yalar.. I drove to the field so what? Vincent also drive what.. Got car don't want to use is a bit wasted.. Johnson, we should use our resources wisely to benefits ourselves.

Ah Yieng, you don't understand the sun nowadays are so hot till can barbeque our skin? I got sun burnt till so bad that I have to use a proper hat to cover my skin.

Don't blame Abubu and me.. We're just using what we have to comfort ourselves..

Eric, well-prepared work is good, partially prepared work isn't bad, last minute work still works better than don't work at all. lol!

By Blogger Ezekiel, at Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 2:57:00 PM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------

tiong yieng: haha... it took me quite some times to complete this lengthy post eh..haha.. yea, knot imagine that "they" use those "tools" to protect them. =) Yea, the dogs scare of me eh.. haha! CAs i wear the MBKS baju and it stinks so they dont dare to come near me! haha

eric: tsk tsk.. u ar... better change ar..if not.. u know the consequences la..


ezekiel: It's my opinion eh. Cas you will think differently and i also blog differently out of my thoughts. Using our "resources" cannot be concluded in such ways. We should learn to expose ourselves to new ground and take things with "more standards" LOL! true in some way too. hmm, all the best in your CEP. =)

By Blogger Johnson, at Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 5:30:00 PM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------

At least I started on my assignments as soon as I was free from my other commitments hor. Unlike someone. Wednesday deadline but Tuesday night baru start. "Room. 22.7m^2". Yea, this is for you, Eric. Haha.

And Johnson. Good aa. After 7 weeks, now can see the 'revival' you were talking about. FINALLY. Hahaha.

Keep it up, buddy.

By Blogger saykhia, at Friday, April 25, 2008 at 5:39:00 PM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh and for the record: I was standing with legs so wide apart 'cos the I had to lower myself to use the prism's sight ba! Have to aim it to the total station, okay???

By Blogger saykhia, at Friday, April 25, 2008 at 5:41:00 PM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------

haha.. who wear farmer's hat oh??? lol..

By Blogger ~Laura~, at Sunday, May 4, 2008 at 2:10:00 AM GMT+8  

----------------------------------------------------------